Monday, November 19, 2012

London Scholar Welcome Conference

On the 6th of October, I attended the London Ambassadorial Scholars Welcome Conference at the York Gate, District Headquarters.  This gave the London based scholars a chance to get to know one another.  Many of the scholars who I met are pursuing MA's in their chosen field and I quickly discovered that most MA programs in the UK are typically a one year commitment.  In some ways I feel lucky that my MA program takes two years to complete because I have to opportunity to gain more exposure of the English culture.  I also learned at this gathering that the District Governor, Eve Conway, who happens to be a BBC news journalist, also was an Ambassadorial Scholar.  She studied news journalism at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois.  I met her and found that we had much in common considering that I am from Illinois and that my focus of study is somewhat related with her profession.  I asked her if she would be willing to offer a tour of the BBC and she agreed.  I look forward to visiting one of the biggest media organisations in the world. 

From the left, District Governor Eve Conway, Foundation Chairman - Mike Hodge, and Stella Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment